10 Reasons to Start a Babysitters Club
Thanks to Ann M. Martin’s beloved book series, girls everywhere have been inspired to start their own Babysitters Clubs since the first installment was published in 1986. There are many reasons why starting a Babysitters Club is a great idea; here are just a few of them.
- Spending Money – Earning your own money is a rite of passage. With it comes the chance to learn budgeting skills, along with the freedom of being able to purchase things you want or need.
- Friendship – Much like any other club, a Babysitters Club is a chance to socialize with others who share your interests. Trading experiences and stories about your charges will help cement friendships that will last a lifetime.
- Small Business Experience – Keeping a Babysitters Club functioning requires dedication and ingenuity, just like any other small business. The things you learn in the process may be very useful to you in adulthood.
- Community Contribution – Being an active part of your community is one of the cornerstones of our society. By offering a service to your neighbors, you’ll be contributing to the good of the whole community.
- Discover New Interests – The world of working with children can open your eyes to interests you didn’t realize you had. Whether it’s an aptitude for arts and crafts or learning you’d like to work with children as a career, you’ll gain knowledge about yourself as well as your charges.
- A Sense of Pride – There are few things as satisfying as the feeling of a job well done. With each job you complete or contribution to your club, you’ll be able to experience the pride of completing a task and providing a much-needed service.
- Responsibility – Ensuring the safety and happiness of the children in your care can be slightly intimidating at first, but the resulting sense of responsibility and the knowledge that you can do anything you put your mind to is a great self-esteem booster.
- Establish Trust – Any parent’s first concern is for the safety of their children. By working together with other members of your club and always doing your best to keep your charges entertained and safe, you’ll prove to your entire community that you are someone worthy of their trust.
- Gain Organization Skills – Scheduling, keeping kits well-stocked and maintaining communication with parents all help you to learn valuable organization and time-management skills, which will be useful in any future career that you choose.
- Learn to Work Under Pressure – Any babysitter knows that kids are unpredictable. To keep up with them, you have to be able to think on your feet; in time, the demands of your charges and keeping up your responsibilities to your club will help you learn to solve problems and deal with pressure.
These are just a few of the reasons why starting a Babysitters Club may be right for you. If you feel that it’s a good idea, grab a few friends and check a few of the novels out of your local library. Figure out what works for your club and the specific needs of your community; before you know it, you’ll be earning money and having a blast!